Welcome to my whole foods cooking blog. I believe that food and eating are essential to our life as human beings and in forming a strong social connection to the world around us. This blog is a way to experiment with recipes and educate myself and anyone else who stumbles by on the history and benefits of eating slow, whole foods.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Refreshing Fall 'Slaw

So it has been some time since I have last posted due to various and sundry reasons, but I am back both in school and in my kitchen stretching my admittedly creaky culinary limbs. Unfortunately, I still do not have a camera worthy of catching mouth-watering moments but, dear reader, I think you will find your taste buds piqued despite the less than 1000 word worthy photographs.

If there is one thing I love about fall it is the feeling of living in suspended season. Especially in Upstate NY, where the weather can vacillate from humid and smothering to crisp and chilly with only a 24 hour turn around time. Fall means I can finally break out my myriad of colorful shawls that I could never quite pull off as a fashion statement in summer and wear my uber comfy Birkenstock slip-ons just about everywhere.

It also signals a new culinary season rife with apples over flowing the bins at the farmers markets, GOUSS's (Gourds Of Unusual Shapes and Sizes), and root vegetable bonanzas. So as we stand on the precarious cusp between a fading Indian Summer and the Arctic Frontier I've decided to blend the best of both worlds and hold onto a little bit of summer while giving a nod to fall.



Refreshing Fall 'Slaw
Serves 8-10 people

Ingredients:

1/3 c sliced almonds
7 cups Red cabbage, shredded
1 package Rainbow Salad, or about 5 c shredded cabbage, broccoli, and carrots
1 large organic Gala apple, grated
1/3 c Golden Raisins
1/3 c dried unsweetened cherries
2 oz Go Raw sprouted pumpkin seeds, or regular if you can't get sprouted
2 tbsp Raw Agave nectar or honey
2 tbsp EVOO
7 tbsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp caraway seeds

Directions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Place almonds on sheet tray and roast for approximately 10 min or until lightly golden brown
3. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and mix throughly, but slowly with a pair of tongs
4. Add almonds straight from the oven and combine into slaw mix
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, although overnight is preferable
6. Take out of refrigerator and let sit at room temp for bout 20-30 min before serving for best flavor

No comments:

Post a Comment